OVERVIEW & ADVANTAGES OF THE IB PROGRAM
What is IB all about?
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program is a rigorous pre-university course of studies, leading to examinations. The program meets the needs of highly motivated secondary school students. There are @3000 IB World Schools (primary year, middle year, and diploma schools) in 144 countries throughout the world. There are @1500 IB Diploma Programs in the Americas (Canada, U.S., Latin America); there are @100 IB Diploma Programs in the state of Florida.
Riverview High School was accredited as an IB Diploma school in January 1999. The class of 2014 represents our 14th graduating class. We are in our 15th year of administering exams.
Serving as a school-within-a-school at Riverview High School, the International Baccalaureate Program provides motivated students with an opportunity to pursue a rigorous university preparatory curriculum.
Broken down into pre-IB (grades 9 & 10) and IB (grades 11& 12), this diploma program stresses education of the “whole person”. The course of study utilizes international standards, is based on an integrated curriculum, stresses “globalism”, and provides for multiple forms of learning techniques and assessments. The IB Diploma gives a chance for students to soar, and is highly sought by the most renown colleges and universities.
IB’s Mission Statement
Through comprehensive and balanced curricula coupled with challenging assessments, the International Baccalaureate Organization aims to assist schools in their endeavors to develop the individual talents of young people and teach them to relate the experience of the classroom to the realities of the world outside. Beyond intellectual rigor and high academic standards, strong emphasis is placed on the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship, to the end that IB students may become critical and compassionate thinkers, lifelong learners and informed participants in local and world affairs, conscious of the shared humanity that binds all people together while respecting the variety of cultures and attitudes that makes for the richness of life.
What IB offers Riverview Students
A Student-Centered Advanced Studies Program, where students can tailor their studies to fit their academic interests.
Flexible Scheduling Opportunities, allowing for block-scheduling, off-hour classes, evening seminars, and summer immersion possibilities.
An Integrated Curriculum approach, emphasizing the relevance and interconnectedness of themes and concepts.
Teachers as Teammates, who plan together and sequence their course offerings to offer the very best in detailed, contemporary high school studies.
A School-Community Effort, where parents are welcomed collaborators and the community is celebrated for the partnerships it affords.
The Prestige of a Global Focus that infuses a cultural awareness and international paradigm that is second to no college preparatory program. High Expectations for All, as the rigorous nature of the balanced curriculum guarantees a depth of unparalleled achievement.
Advantages, Benefits and Significance of IB
ADVANTAGES & BENEFITS & SIGNIFICANCE
- Challenging and exciting classes, focusing on writing, thinking, communicating, and
- Rigorous and comprehensive education based on a global perspective.
- A commitment to community and human welfare.
- High standard of teaching required by the IB program.
- Possibility of entering college with advanced standing, enhances the student’s chances of
- High expectations of students and development of full academic potential in all areas of
- Participation in a community of scholars.
- Opportunity to earn a universally recognized, world-class credential.
- Emphasizes the philosophy of applied knowledge rather than mere book learning.
- College Credit
- Recognition by Selective Universities/Colleges
- Global Acceptance
- College – Life Preparation
- Cultural Perspectives
- Raising of Educational Standards/High Expectations
- Compete in International Arena
- Public Demand for Education Reform
- Examination – Accountability
- Universally Recognized
- Magnet Option/School Choice
- YOU MUST RESIDE IN SARASOTA COUNTY IN ORDER TO ATTEND THE IB PROGRAM AT RIVERVIEW HIGH SCHOOL. Proof of relocation (prior to enrollment/registration) will be required if currently out of county.
- Transportation provided for Riverview districted students only.
- Your application to the program will not be evaluated until all requested materials have been received. You will receive written confirmation of the Admission’s Committee decision via the U.S. Post Office.
- Shadowing dates, if to be held, will be announced at a later date.
- Registration materials will be sent in March. Students coming from private schools will require proof of physical (past 12 months) and immunization records. Please make arrangements to have these items completed prior to our registration meeting in April, if possible. May 25 is the cut-off for meeting registration requirements.
- Dates are subject to change.
- August Orientation dates to be announced.
Visit www.ibo.org for additional information on the International Baccalaureate Program.