News & Upcoming Events
Scroll below for complete listing of information
July 15, 2016
Dear IB Parents & IB Students; (Click here for PDF Version)
Summer Greetings!! The school year is five weeks away, here is important info.
Orientation dates are listed below. Please remember, in order to pick up your schedules, you need to submit a signed copy of the IB Honor Code. Also, please review the updated, 2016-17 IB Guidebook, which includes Academic Guidelines and IB Attendance Policy.
Students please make sure you finish your summer assignments, as you will be expected to demonstrate completion once school starts. (Listed here on our web site) Relatedly, SENIORS, Extended Essays are due (2 copies & one flash drive) at the time of your schedule pick-up.
Remember, schedules are pretty packed – so any requests for changes will be very difficult to accommodate. And, in fact, it’s school policy not to approve requests for teacher or lunch changes. Do not purchase school supplies until after classes meet! A friendly reminder: the start of school brings understandable excitement, apprehension, etc.. Patience and open-mindedness are the keys to a successful opening….and to IB!
Open House for all Riverview parents is: Thursday, Sept. 8, starting at 6 p.m., until 8 p.m. There is a mandatory Grade 12 Parent Meeting on Thursday, Sept. 22 at 6 p.m. (RPAC).
The IBPO Membership Drive has begun. Enclosed, please find enrollment forms. Please join: we need your support and assistance – opportunities for committees, etc,, are also available. Like us on Facebook RiverviewIB and consult this website regularly.
We are elated to welcome our new Principal, Dr. Paul Burns. We are most proud to announce that our May 2016 IB Exam Results have surpassed our own projections and the world averages (Again!). (Details will be posted here in the upcoming days.)
Congratulations to the entire Riverview IB community – we truly believe that our best days are still ahead of us!
Paul Gallagher, Ed.D.
IB Coordinator/Assistant Principal
Important Dates = Start of School, 2016-17
ORIENTATION AND SCHEDULE PICK-UP (RPAC)
Tuesday, Aug. 9: Grade 12 – starts at 9 a.m. – ends at 11 a.m. (Bring completed Extended Essay.)
Tuesday, Aug. 9: Grade 11 – starts at 12 p.m. – ends at 2 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 10: Grade 10 (and Band Members & Football Players) starts at 12 p.m. – ends at 2 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 10: Grade 9 – starts at 6 p.m. – ends at 8 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 19: Make-up Orientation starts at 9 a.m. – ends at 11 a.m.
(Bring signed Honor code.)
Monday, August 22: First day of school.
Thursday, Sept. 8: Parent Open House – starts at 6 p.m. – ends at 8 p.m. (Know your students schedule…classroom locations.)
Thursday, Sept. 15: IB Parent Coffee - 7:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m. (cafeteria)
Thursday: Sept. 22: IB 12 Mandatory Parent Meeting –, starts at 6 p.m. – ends at 7 p.m. (RPAC)
Questions or concerns:
Asst. Principal/IB DP Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
IB DP Coordinator/Grades 9 & 10: email@example.com
IB DP Guidance Counselor: firstname.lastname@example.org
IB DP Admin Asst.: email@example.com
May 2016 IB Exam Results announced:
- 129 Diploma Candidates -- % who earned diploma = 87.3%
- 77 Anticipated Candidates totaling 85 exams (juniors who sat for exam(s)) -- % who received ‘passing’ mark (‘4’) = 90%
- 1 Anticipated Career-related Program (junior, 1 exam) = 100% ‘passing’ mark
- 74 Diploma Course students (Riverview students who sat for IB exams) = 90% ‘passing’ mark ('4')
The above percentiles surpass global diploma average and Riverview IB goals.
(It appears as though the aforementioned results depict our most successful year in history.) Congratulations to all!
Orientation for the 2016-2017 school year – bring your signed honor code with you and seniors must also submit their EE.
Tuesday August 9 -
9:00 am Seniors, 12:00 pm Juniors
Wednesday August 10 -
12:00 pm Sophomores/band/football, 6:00 pm Freshmen
Friday August 19 -
9:00 am Make up orientation
Extended Essay Boot Camp in the Riverview High Library! There are still spaces in the June 7-9 session (12:30-3:30 each day) and the June 14-16 session (Band Students get priority for this session. If spaces do not fill, other students are welcome. 9:00am-12:00pm).
Cost is $15.00, checks made out to Riverview IBPO. Contact Carol Miller to sign up.
Riverview IB announces:
Diploma Program Class of 2016
2016-2017 Riverview Forms - Download below
2015-2016 Junior Calendar
2015-2016 Senior Calendar
The I.B.P.O. has formed a Sophomore Appreciation Committee to provide treats or refreshments to the Sophomores during their monthly pullouts. During January and February, the pullout topic has been diversity and has included the I.B. Freshmen. Thank you to the parents that donated cookies for the February pullout. Watch your email for donation requests in the coming months. Pullouts are held the first Wednesday of each month for the duration of the school year and we plan to organize something fun for each of the remaining ones. If you are interested in being on the committee, please contact Adrienne Asbury (firstname.lastname@example.org).
"Research released earlier this year by the International Baccalaureate showed that the IB is a pathway to success in post-secondary education. The first year retention rate of Diploma Programme students was 98 percent, compared to the national retention rate of 77 percent, and the four year graduation rate among all DP participants (those who earned or attempted the DP diploma) was 79 percent. The four year graduation rate for DP diploma earners was 84 percent, compared to 39 percent nationally."
9th Grade Breakfast
Our thanks to: Costco, Publix-Sarasota Pavilion, Panera Bread-Hwy 41, Panera Bread-Sarasota Pavilion and Bahia Vista, Detwilers Farm Market, and Albtritton for providing the pastries and drinks.
RIVERVIEW IB SENIORS named National Merit Semifinalists Khaya Klanot and Paige Levanti are National Merit Semi-finalists…..
RIVERVIEW IB Visual Arts teacher garners prestigious award:
The Florida Art Education Association awards committee has selected Dr. Jackie Henson-Dacey for the 2015 Secondary Art Educator of the Year.
Riverview authorized to offer IB Career Program
New --------- University Study Released!
New study on the university enrollment, retention and graduation rates of Diploma Programme (DP) students who graduated from public and private high schools in the United States in 2008:
Some of the key findings of the study include:
- 92% of IB Diploma Program students graduating from US high schools in 2008 enrolled in US postsecondary institutions between 2008 and 2014, while 78% of students enrolled immediately.
- The first year retention rate of IB Diploma Program students enrolled in four-year institutions was 98% (compared to 77% nationally).
- The average four-year graduation rate of all IB Diploma Program students was 79% (versus 39% nationally, see figure). Furthermore, IB students have notably higher six-year graduation rates (83%) than the 2009 national average of 56%.
You can find the research brief here: http://ibo.org/globalassets/publications/ib-research/dp/dp-student-enrollment-outcomes-us-brief-en.pdf
The full report is available here: http://ibo.org/globalassets/publications/ib-research/dp/dp-student-enrollment-outcomes-us-en.pdf
What is so special about IB programmes?
- IB programmes are recognized around the world and ensure an increased adaptability and mobility for IB students;
- The curriculum and pedagogy of IB programmes focus on international perspectives of learning and teaching, while insisting that students fully explore their home culture and language;
- IB World Schools must undergo an exhaustive authorization process, as well as regular reviews, in order to offer one or more of the programmes. This also includes a study of the school’s resources and commitment to the IB mission and philosophy;
- IB teachers regularly participate in a wide variety of professional development opportunities to constantly update their knowledge and share their expertise with colleagues around the world;
- Many students graduating from the Diploma Programme find that it enhances their opportunities at tertiary institutions. The IB works closely with universities around the world to gain recognition for IB programmes;
- The core components of IB programmes encourage students to participate in creative and service-oriented activities, while at the same time emphasizing the importance of reflection on a personal and academic level.
Did you know?
- The average acceptance rate of DP students into university/college is 22 percentage points higher than the average acceptance rate of the total population.
- The average SAT score of IB Diploma Programme candidates is 1953, and the average for IB Certificate candidates is 1794. The national average SAT score is 1500.
- 65% of IB DP students plan to study abroad during university years, and 51% intend to pursue a career in another country.
Connect with IB