INCOMING PIB 9 STUDENTS WELCOMED TO IB
UNIVERSITY ADMISSIONS FOR RIVERVIEW IB
CLASS OF 2013 ANNOUNCED
PIB 9 Registration – Wednesday, April 24, at 6 p.m. in the RPAC
(for 8th grade students already accepted into Riverview IB; students must also report for a math placement exam at one of the times listed below)
(Come to Riverview cafeteria; bring #2 pencil only)
Tuesday, May 14 5:30 – 7 P.M.
Thursday, May 16 5:30 – 7 P.M.
Saturday, May 18 9 – 10:30 A.M.
Admissions Applications (only for students new to Sarasota County) (click here)
Theory of Knowledge Prescribed Titles Announced
The IB Seniors have recently learned of the six possible ‘titles’ that their 1500 word TOK essay will come from. They are:
1. In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences?
2. “Only seeing general patterns can give us knowledge. Only seeing particu1. In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences?
2. “Only seeing general patterns can give us knowledge. Only seeing particular examples can give us understanding.” To what extent do you agree with these assertions?
3. “The possession of knowledge carries an ethical responsibility.” Evaluate this claim.
4. The traditional TOK diagram indicates four ways of knowing. Propose the inclusion of a fifth way of knowing selected from intuition, memory or imagination, and explore the knowledge issues it may raise in two areas of knowledge.
5. “That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” (Christopher Hitchens). Do you agree?
6. Can we know when to trust our emotions in the pursuit of knowledge? Consider history and one other area of knowledge.
Did you know?
- The average acceptance rate of DP students into university/college is 22 percentage points higher than the average acceptance rate of the total population.
- The average SAT score of IB Diploma Programme candidates is 1953, and the average for IB Certificate candidates is 1794. The national average SAT score is 1500.
- 65% of IB DP students plan to study abroad during university years, and 51% intend to pursue a career in another country.
What are current IB parents saying about Riverview’s International Bacclaureate Program? (click here)
The International Baccalaureate Organization aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people, who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end, the IBO works with schools, governments, and international organizations to develop challenging programs of international education and rigorous assessment. To view our guidebook program of studies, click here.
Questions? Concerns? E-mail an IBPO Executive Boardmember:
President: Karry Di Tomaso NJJ3@verizon.net
Treasurer: Martha Althoff MPAlthoff@yahoo.com
Secretary: Lynne Streitmatter firstname.lastname@example.org